Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Grammy Awards

TONIGHT I AM GOING TO GIVE YOU A TREAT! I'm going to be live-updating my post tonight as I watch the Grammy awards and try to do my homework at the same time. You get my opinions on everything, as it happens. I'll update either after awards/performances, or else during commercial breaks. As in, I'll hit publish and re-go-in to edit SO YOU CAN READ!

And may I just start out by saying I love Aretha Franklin to bits, and I have NO idea who LL Cooljay is. Or whatever his name is. But he's complimenting Aretha so it's okay. (Aretha has won eighteen Grammy awards??? HOLY CRAP she's TALENTED.)

And who is the very first singer going to be? AHHH awesome singers!!! I'm super freaking excited. This is going to kick. Ass. Grammy Awards, I love you so. And I hope Christina doesn't mess up the words to the song... She'd better try really hard. Too hard.
 ------
Can I just say I love Florence & the Machine SO much? And I thought she did amazingly with Think. And all of these ladies were great. I think it's really nice that they're paying tribute to Aretha, and that they got amazing artists from all different genres, to really reach everybody. Yay. I think the night is off to a fantastic start. Oh  my goodness. The problem is I'm not going to know or like half of the artists/songs/nominations. So prepare for cynicism and sarcastic wit galore. And HOORAY ARETHA IS ON THE TV!!! <3 She's an amazing woman and I'm so glad she's doing better. Except I'm getting the "Why did you do that" vibe from her. But I mean. She has the right. And it was still sweet. And I'm just excited so I mean, right now I'm just sitting here smiling.

Lady Gaga is coming up next!! Oh my goodness I'm excited. There are so many exciting artists coming up - I can't wait for Lady Gaga, Cee Lo Green, Katy Perry...oh my goodness. Okay. Commercial break, time to update! (Also. If I have to see this "It's a New Day" commercial one more time someone is going to die.)
------
Don't Stop Believin is nominated. Oh my god. Glee all the way, go Glee!
Misery - Maroon Five - LOVE MAROON 5. <3
The Only Exception - Paramore. Hate them.Can't stand Hayley Williams or whatever her name is.
Babyfather - Sade. Don't even know who they are. Does anyone know who they are and what they sing?
Hey Soul Sister - Train. LOVE LOVE LOVE.
Oh my god I want three of the five nominees to win.

YAY TRAIN!!!! SO PROUD OF YOU! YOU SO DESERVE THIS! This song gets blasted in the car, turned on all the time, I'm absolutely in love with dancing to it. Yay. Now it'll be played even MORE on the radio! And I love the whole "Thank You Justin Bieber" bit. Except his hair is a mess. Why can't he just shave it like his drummer.

Lady Gaga is going to perform her new song now. Oh my god. I'm kind of excited. I am not so sure how I feel about this song, but I'm still excited. And she's in... a futeristic caterpillar cocoon? Or a space ship? No idea. Space ship I think. I like her outfit though - specially the jacket. What is up with her shoulders? This is very...stream of consciousness. I'm just going to wait and update when I'm done watching the show.

Also I think it's really dumb that people are complaining that this song sounds like Madonna's Express Yourself. So many songs sound like other songs but nobody complains because it isn't Lady Gaga and they're not trying to tear other artists down as much. Gaga is pretty incredible. And the dancing is great. The outfits are pretty cool too, though I'm not so sure my mother approves. She made a face and walked out.

That piano playing was pretty epic. Kinda made me think Phantom of the Opera. Not sure why. ....why did everyone just take their body suits off? They all look naked. And my 11 year old sister is watching this. I'm so confused.

I love Gaga. I'm not so sure I'm totally caught up in her Monster craze, nor do I understand exactly why she does the things she does. For attention maybe? I've been told she created the character of Lady Gaga because they didn't think she'd be famous otherwise. Well. Now she's famous! But I mean. Every time she does anything it's like she has to be more and more extreme and I'm honestly not sure how I feel. Eventually she's got to crash. Not that I'm looking forward to it.
------
I'm afraid I'm not being mean enough. This post is like, all squealing so far. So I need to really sit back and look at things from a blogger's perspective. It's going to be interesting. Maybe.
------
Blake Shelton! Aww he's announcing Miranda Lambert, that's so cute. And Miranda's song has been nominated of course. Aww. This is just too much cute. A little too much cute. Very corny. I'm not sure how I think the Grammys are going to be. But that song she's singing - it's one of the songs I love that always strikes a note with me. She's incredible, her songs. I remember when she was brand new to the country music scene and my sister loved her. She actually has talent - no effects or crazy anything needed. She's just singing so simply and beautifully and honestly. Now if only someone else had announced her. (Though...okay...it was cute. And I'm absolutely a sucker for cute things. It felt a little...abbreviated though.)
------
I feel like a bad person for not knowing who this guy is who's won four Grammy awards. Lenny Kravitz - but it's okay because he's announcing Muse, who I do know. And this will be interesting. I like them.

I love the way the stage is set up, and the way the dancers are working. And that screen is so cool. See, the fun thing about the Grammy awards is that not only do you get to see crazy people, but you get to see some pretty cool staging and stuff. I'm not sure how I feel about the violence/fight/dancing on the stage. But it's kind of cool. Like. Very modern and interpretive. I think. What's up with the bank? Clearly I do not understand what this song is about - what do fighting duos and banks have to do with each other? Who will be victorious, Egypt? (They so were.)
-------
Okay so my brother and I are having a discussion about Justin Bieber being nominated for Best New Artist - and I don't know what I think. I mean, I know he came from nothing to being an international superstar. Which is impressive. And not everyone can do that. But little bro's favorite band (more musically talented) Mumford & Sons is also nominated, and I understand what he's saying when he says he expects M&S to win, but honestly I kinda figure JBiebz will. Just because he's...THE it thing right now. Though I am not sure even how I feel about THAT....life is complicated when stars are involved.
-------
Oh no. What's going on right now, who's singing? This is going to be interesting. I love Bruno Mars. Though that whole cocaine thing - really? Everyone's making a huge stink. We'll save my drug rants for later. This trio sounds like it could be interesting. Though the second "medley" of the night? (Even though it's already a song that two of them sing together) I'm really hesitant. It just feels...idk. Like they're trying to smush so many people into this show at once. And the lady is barely singing, I already forget her name....

But I like how they're splitting up the three. And Bruno Mars will never stop impressing me, he's so diverse and incredible.And I actually really like this Janelle girl's outfit. Her hair? A little too much like Nicki Minaj for my liking. Who I can't stand. But I like the way they're singing their songs - the style is so dated, and it sounds really cool. And oh my god she's crowd surfing? What the heck. Who...crowd surfs...at the Grammy awards? Okay that just...no. Nope. No way.
-------
Zac Brown and Dierks Bentley? Country Music!!! Love it.
Okay. Female country vocal.
Satisfied - Jewel wtf since when does she even sing country music... no way.
The House that Built Me - Miranda Lambert - her performance was incredible.
Swingin' - LeAnn Rimes - Never heard it. But I've heard of LeAnn Rimes.
Temporary Home - Carrie Underwood - Love Carrie, but it's like... this is another house song and I like the other "Home" song better.
I'd Love to be your Last - Gretchen Wilson - She was a fad. She's done.

YES okay Miranda SO deserved to win. She was incredible singing. The song is emotional and wonderful.
Wow so far the Grammys aren't as bad as I thought they were going to be.
------
What the heck, why is the meeting of Justin Bieber and Usher memorable?? I don't understand this. I don't really care. I really couldn't care less. I know people who can sing better than him. Who deserve to be famous now.

And this is really, really corny. I can't....no I can't even watch the dialogue between them. That was painfully scripted and very corny. And I don't understand the craze for JBiebz, I really don't. And...wtf is all of this? This song is horrible. The acrobatics are actually really cool - but I can't stand this song. It's the most obnoxious thing ever. And he needs to fix his collar, dammit!

I love the cuts to the proud parents as they watch their daughter sing with Justin Bieber. Yay famous peoples' children getting recording contracts left and right!

I changed my mind. I'm really not liking the Grammys so far. This is just getting annoying. I guess most people like watching Usher and Justin sing together? I didn't. At all. Didn't do it for me. And now I need to do my homework, or else Mumsy will be like AHH TV OFF. No way.

I can't stand Paramore. But I love Piper. So I'm excited for this award.

Best Rock Album:
Emotion and Commotion - Jeff Beck
The Resistance - Muse
Backspacer - Pearl Jam
Mojo - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
La Noise - Neil Young

Yay Muse! Getting to sing and then getting to win! Though I was kind of hoping for Pearl Jam, I have some fond memories singing to their songs, though I used to not know who they are because a long time ago I only ever listened to country music. And I like their speech but it doesn't sound very prepared - I don't think they were expecting to win this... haha. But they got it! Yay!
------
I hope Gaga beats Bieber. I don't want Susan Boyle to win....she annoys me.
YAY LADY GAGA!!!! You definitely needed this award. Not like, needed it. But yay you deserved it. Your music is incredible.


Okay this post is going horribly. I'm going to stop updating live and make snarky comments on Twitter instead, and write a "review" of the show tomorrow or later tonight. Because I have to do homework and put pictures online so I can commemorate my amazing Boston trip yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment